having installed with simple video driver, can't get 1280x800 back

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Apr 10 09:57:35 UTC 2009

  following up on an earlier post, the only way i could install f11
beta on a new gateway m-1626 with a 1280x800 display and a radeon
xpress 1270 video chipset was to select "simple video driver."

  now that the install is complete, "xdpyinfo" tells me that i'm
running at 1024x768 and i can't see how to switch to full 1280x800
resolution.  selecting "System -> Preferences -> Display" gives me
resolution choices of only 1024x768 or 800x600.  "lsmod" shows me that
the radeon driver is, indeed, loaded.

  the entire contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf is:

Section "Device"
	Identifier "Videocard0"
	Driver "vesa"
EndSection

which i assume is the result of having selected the simple driver at
install time, yes?  is there a graphical way to adjust this, or should
i fix this by manually editing xorg.conf?

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday