weirdness going from runlevel 5 to 3

Allen Kistler an037-ooai8 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 12 01:11:36 UTC 2009

Allen Kistler wrote:

> [snip]
>
> I think I saw this same trouble as failure to shut down or reboot
> yesterday.  I thought I saw the rc0 script getting killed before the
> machine had shutdown.  That is, the process that's supposed to kill all
> the other processes got killed.  At least that's how I interpret the
> following log:
>
> [snip]
>
> Leaving me with a blank desktop and a mouse, but nothing else, which is
> mostly the effect I saw yesterday.  The power button is set up to shut
> down, so that's how I can ultimately shut down.
>
> I'll look for filed bugs and file one myself if I don't see any.

I created BZ #495326 against initscripts.

I haven't tried going from runlevel 5 to runlevel 3 myself, but if you
see similar stuff in your logs about rc3 (probably) killing itself off,
then maybe its the same bug for real.  Alternatively, maybe if your logs
show something different, it still is the same bug and the info will
help narrow down exactly where things go wrong.

Hey, Triagers:  Good candidate for F11Blocker?