firefox is regularly dying

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Apr 12 13:02:44 UTC 2009

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009, Mike Chambers wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-04-11 at 16:58 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Apr 2009, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> >
> > > Yep!  I have seen it before.  It is even worse.  It freezes my
> > > machines that I need to restart machine(press and hold power
> > > button).  I ran it from command line and I saw that it
> > > segfaults, but I could not save it(the message), and I had to
> > > reboot again :(
> > >
> > > is it i586 or x86_64?  It has happened to me on the two x86_64
> > > machines.  Now I prefer to use konqueror more because of this
> > > and it is faster and snappier too, only the flash does not work,
> > > but I can live with that :)
> >
> >   i've only ever seen this very recently, and with x86_64.
>
> As mentioned in another thread, think the issue is with his flash
> version for 64bit.  Maybe you need to update yours if not already to
> latest alpha/beta release and make sure it's copied to
> /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/ dir?

  been there, done that.  i'm using the latest 64-bit version and, at
the moment, firefox seems to be behaving.

  on the other hand, there is one other annoyance with firefox -- it's
tendency to absolutely suck up CPU cycles.  occasionally, depending on
what pages i'm viewing, Xorg will be using close to 100% CPU, and
firefox will be using 100% as well.  literally, earlier this morning,
using "top", both firefox and Xorg were listed as using 100% CPU.  at
which point, response from any instance of firefox is cripplingly
slow.  also potentially a flash issue?

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday