Specifying How Yum Downloads Updates

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 15 12:39:19 UTC 2009

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Bob Gustafson wrote:

> Bug #215621 ("LOTS of dependencies ERASED")

And there was nothing accidental or inadvertent about that in that bug
report. You were upset that Evolution has a hard dependency on
openldap.

>> 2. removing things without the explicit consent of the user?
>
> The problem with the current status of Yum is that the user does not
> have enough information to know whether a dependency removal is OK.

If you see that evolution is dependent on the pkg you use and you want to
continue using evolution, then you shouldn't say 'Y' to the transaction.

> Also, at least a couple of years ago, if the user did not make a
> decision within a certain number of seconds, the components were erased.

There has NEVER been a time when yum would do something without the user
explicitly passing a -y on the command line, the config file or answering
'Y' to the prompt.

The default response has been 'No' forever.

The only problem I see here is that Evolution depending on openldap was a
surprise to you.

-sv