palimpsest vs. smartctl

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Wed Apr 15 16:30:21 UTC 2009

> On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 10:22 +0200, Jiri Cerny wrote:
> > Since yesterdays rawhide update,  I am getting the 'One or more disks
> > are failing' icon in the notification area.
> >
> > When I click on it, the palimpsest utility starts. It says that the
> > disk has bad sectors. When I click on details, I get
> > Ata Smart Attributes window, which claims that 'Reallocated Sector
> > Count' and 'Reallocation Count' fail.
> >
> > I do not understand the data in the table very well, but what I found
> > surprising that the Value of Reallocated Sector Count is 0, what does
> > not seems to me like value which should fail.
> >
> > I tried to check this with smartctl -a /dev/sda, I get  the output
> > that can be seen below and which looks quite without problem. Also
> > smartctl -l error, smartctl -l selftest report no errors.
> >
> > My question is: Is my disk really failing or  is there some bug in the
> > reporting software?
>
> Hey,
>
> if you think the disk is fine, but palimpsest is still showing you the
> bubble, can you please file a bug and attach your data there ? It is
> possible that the code in palimpsest / libatasmart needs some tweaks to
> avoid false positives.

In my case palimpsest reports a failing disk error because the worst
value of a temperature attribute is one lower than the threshold. The
current value is well above the threshold. Perhaps palimpsest should
support manually ignoring a failed attribute so the warning icon will
show up only if another attribute will give failure?
--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb