why won't my samsung install CD automount?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Apr 15 18:26:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 08:27 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > But you do see messages flying around from DeviceKit and stuff for
> > the disc that *does* automount, right?
>
>   ok, i'm back to having a usable f11 beta x86_64 system -- fresh
> install -- so here's what happens.  when i insert a home burned f11
> beta x86_64 DVD, here's what shows up in /var/log/messages:
>
> Apr 15 08:19:25 localhost gnome-keyring-daemon[2777]: adding removable
> location: volume_label_Fedora_11_Beta_x86_64_DVD at /media/Fedora
> 11-Beta x86_64 DVD
>
>   and when i "eject":
>
> Apr 15 08:20:09 localhost gnome-keyring-daemon[2777]: removing
> removable location: volume_label_Fedora_11_Beta_x86_64_DVD
>
> so far, so good.
>
>   on the other hand, when i insert the aforementioned samsung printer
> CD that came with the printer, *nothing* shows up in
> /var/log/messages.  if, however, i manually mount with:
>
>   # mount /dev/sr0 /mnt
>
> i see:
>
> Apr 15 08:21:25 localhost gnome-keyring-daemon[2777]: adding removable
> location: volume_label_SAMSUNG_MFP at /mnt
>
> so the CD is clearly mountable, it's just not being handled
> automatically by DeviceKit for some reason.
>
>   is there another log file you'd like me to monitor while i try this
> again?

Sort of. Your mail reminded me that this stuff doesn't get logged very
well.

In the past what I'd have told you to do is stop the HAL service and
then run haldaemon manually with the options to make it run foregrounded
and be verbose. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if that's what you do with
DeviceKit too. David, help! What's the procedure in this case? What do
you do when you want to see what devicekit's doing (and where it's going
wrong)?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey