Draft email to maintainers regarding Priority / Severity in Bugzilla

François Cami fcami at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 15 21:00:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 19:28:57 +0000
"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is> wrote:

> > Some people raised the possibility that reporters could interfere with
> > the setting of these fields - they might disagree with a triager who set
> > their issue to Medium or Low, and set it higher.
>
> For the record why is it generally believed that triagers are more
> qualified than reporters
> to change the severity or the priority of the report?

On the cases where triagers are closely monitoring some packages,
they may know what is severe and what is not.

Reporters tend to flag everything high, because if they're bothered enough
by the bug to file a bug report, it's probably serious.

There _are_ exceptions of course.

> Secondly the developer(s)/maintainer(s) of the component are the only
> one(s) capable of assessing the
> severity of the report and thus adjust priorities to his/their
> time/workload accordingly based on the content of that report.

I agree on the workload, not on the severity of the report, see above.

François