video playback issues with kdenlive on Fedora 11 beta

Andrew Smith eurodrew555 at yahoo.com.au
Thu Apr 16 22:28:51 UTC 2009

On 16/04/09 23:07, Andrew Smith wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm currently testing Fedora 11 beta x86_64.
>
> I'm specifically testing kdenlive (non-linear video editor) before
> Fedora 11 is released.
>
> The first install went great, with kdenlive absolutely stable and the
> whole system extremely fast on ext4 (I'm amazed how much faster
> everything is to be honest!)
>
> All was good for a day or two and then I did a full yum update to the
> system.
>
> On the next start up of kdenlive any attempt to render any video plays
> for a second or two and then freezes.
> I have directly tested inigo and ffplay and both also freeze up.
>
> If I play back the same video file with vlc it plays perfectly.
>
> I do not know what specific package versions I was on but I do recall
> seeing qt being upgraded in the yum update.
> Also some xorg and x11 packages.
>
> The rest of the GUI in kdenlive is still responsive, so it looks like
> it's just the render thread that's frozen.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

After a bit of testing I've found the problem:

kernel-2.6.29.1-70.fc11.x86_64 = video freezes up after a few seconds

kernel-2.6.29.1-68.fc11.x86_64 = OK
kernel-2.6.29-0.258.2.3.rc8.git2.fc11.x86_64 = OK

Therefore the solution is just to change grub.conf to boot off
kernel-2.6.29.1-68.fc11.x86_64 for now.

So far running Fedora 11 beta using ext4 is lightning fast and stable -
thanks to all the developers it's look great!

Andrew