PXE question

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Apr 17 21:03:22 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Arne Chr. Jorgensen <achrisjo at yahoo.com> said:
> I would like to set up some PXE server myself, as I have some hardware
> were I have no other option. ( Panasonic CF-18 )

There's no special software needed (i.e. there is no "PXE server"
program).  You need:

- DHCP server that allows you to set the right options
  - set boot-file (option 67) to "pxelinux.0"
  - set next-server to the IP of your TFTP server
- TFTP server to service pxelinux.0, config, kernel, initrd
- something (HTTP, FTP, NFS) to serve your install tree(s)

You get pxelinux.0 from the syslinux package, and the config should look
something like the normal syslinux or isolinux configs.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>