About Workspace

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Apr 20 00:22:36 UTC 2009

Angel Fish wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> When I opening the firefox in Workspace1, then turn to Workspace2 and open
> the Terminal. While the Terminal is opening, turn back to Workspace1. As a
> result, Terminal is opened in Workspace1 only. It's the first time I use
> Fedora 10(also Linux), so I am not sure whether it's a bug or not. Do
> someone meet the same scene?
> PS:The Fedora is running on the Sun VirtualBox.

  When you start an application, which workspace it opens in can depend
on things that occur after you click "start" or type the command, or
whatever. If you want consistent behaviour, don't change workspaces so
quickly.

You can move applications between workspaces, right-click on the
titlebar for options.

There is a bug in that some applications don't remember which workspace
they were in, and when you restart your session (for example, by logging
off with the "save session" option, then logon again they restart, but
in the wrong workspace. A major offender here is firefox, I somethimes
have as many as 30 web browser windows open at once (I have been
cleaning up, I only have 14 Firefox, 8 Seamonkey and a few Konquerors at
the moment), and it's a pain to have firefox restart them all in the
same workspace.

I presume that, since you said "workspace" that you are using xfce.
Other desktop environments use other terms.

It is not like Desktops on Windows, or Spaces on OS X.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait