any thoughts on why firefox is still nad-grindingly slow?

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Apr 28 14:45:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 03:52:54PM +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2009-04-27, 20:18 GMT, François Cami wrote:
> > If you're on EXA on that RS690, please switch back to XAA until
> > we know
> > more about the problem - IIRC XAA ran fine on your hardware.
>
> Just adding my "me too" on this hardware and no xorg.conf:
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV380
>     [Radeon X600 (PCIE)]
> 01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV380 [Radeon X600]
>
> Will try nomodeset. François, do we have a bug for this (was
> wandering in other lands than -ati for the last couple of days)?

I was seeing this problem, but it stopped shortly after changing
/etc/nsswitch.conf.  My hosts line was like this:

hosts:      files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns

and I changed it to this:

hosts:      files dns

Can others try this, reboot, and see if it makes any difference, or am
I just confusing a different bug?

I'm using:

kernel-2.6.29.1-111.fc11.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.12.2-7.fc11.x86_64