One or more disks are failing

Nikolay Vladimirov nikolay at vladimiroff.com
Tue Apr 28 16:40:50 UTC 2009

2009/4/28 Felix Miata:
> On 2009/04/28 20:42 (GMT+0800) John Summerfield composed:
>
>> Go to your disk manufacturer's website and look for any diagnostic
>> tools. IBM, before it got out of the disk business, had its Drive
>> Fitness Test program on a floppy disk image of PCDOS 2000 (or so) ready
>> for users to download, write to a floppy and boot. Hitachi inherited
>> that, but I don't know the state of play.
>
>> Other vendors (eg Seagate) also provide test programs for their disks.
>> Some _might_ require Windows.
>
> Or goto http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and download and burn and boot it. It
> has all the drive manufacturers' disk test software on it, among many other
> useful diagnostic and configuration utilities.
> --
> "He who works his land will have abundant food, but the
> one who chases fantasies will have his fill of poverty."
>                                Proverbs 28:19 NIV
>
>  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
>
> Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

The built-in IBM checks did work and the disk has bad sectors so it's
a very very nice feature this disk monitor.
It was very helpful and somewhat Fedora exclusive. In the past week or
so there were gentoo, arch, ubuntu and XP(with the full built in IBM
suite) installed on the machine. None of them had a big red "Your disk
is damaged". I'm very happy that fedora could help me with that.

Thanks,
Nikolay Vladimirov