F10 nightmare under control

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Apr 29 16:15:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 04:28 -0700, Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:
> > > Can I replace the card with something Fedora support ?
> >
> > Yes, there are cards supported by entirely free drivers. If you can find
> > one which uses the ZyDAS ZD1211 chipset, that's a good one, I have one
> > of those and it works very well with the free zd1211rw driver.

> So, with the other chipset, would you get wireless "out-of-the-box"
> with Fedora ?

Yes. With a ZD1211 chipset-based adapter wifi just works out of the box,
no configuration required besides clicking on NetworkManager to pick the
access point and enter the security password if necessary.

There's probably other chips that work this easily, but ZD1211 is the
one I've personally had the best experience with. I have several other
wireless chips that work, but they all require drivers from rpmfusion or
firmware or something.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey