SSH, firefox, and X

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 20:28:53 UTC 2009

ssh to another host on the local lan. I tried running firefox from the CLI, it starts then crashes. Other apps work fine gthumb , xchat, emacs. I thought I might need some special incantation and have found several floating around but no joy. I have also noticed that when I 'exit' from the remote host after running say gthumb or attempting to run firefox that I have to ctrl-C or I don't get the prompt back, however if i log in and don't run any graphical apps it logouts without a problem. Makes me think I am forgetting an option but I have tried various things with firefox and i get the same results.

 Another thing about the logout hang is that it doesn't occur when I have used only emacs but if run gthumb or something similar then it will hang on logout and require a ctrl-c.

 I haven't to the best of my recollection ever tried running FF(or any other graphical app) on a remote host thru ssh, not generally what I use ssh for but I decided to try it out. Is it broken or have I not properly mixed my dog hair and bat poop. I get the following no matter what recipe I try:

(ssh session from f10 to f11(armadillo)):
[maximus at armadillo ~]$ firefox
debug1: client_input_channel_open: ctype x11 rchan 3 win 65536 max 16384
debug1: client_request_x11: request from 127.0.0.1 46745
debug1: channel 1: new [x11]
debug1: confirm x11
debug1: client_input_channel_open: ctype x11 rchan 4 win 65536 max 16384
debug1: client_request_x11: request from 127.0.0.1 46746
debug1: channel 2: new [x11]
debug1: confirm x11
debug1: channel 1: FORCE input drain
debug1: channel 1: free: x11, nchannels 3
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display "localhost:11.0".
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display "localhost:11.0".
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display "localhost:11.0".
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display "localhost:11.0".
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display "localhost:11.0".
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display "localhost:11.0".
debug1: client_input_channel_open: ctype x11 rchan 3 win 65536 max 16384
debug1: client_request_x11: request from 127.0.0.1 46747
debug1: channel 1: new [x11]
debug1: confirm x11
debug1: channel 1: FORCE input drain
debug1: channel 1: free: x11, nchannels 3
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display "localhost:11.0".
debug1: channel 2: FORCE input drain
debug1: channel 2: free: x11, nchannels 2
/usr/lib/firefox-3.1b3/run-mozilla.sh: line 131:  2546 Segmentation fault      "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

--
"Any fool can know. The point is to understand" --Albert Einstein

Bored??
http://fiction.wikia.com/wiki/Fuqwit1.0

http://fiction.wikia.com/wiki/Coding_the_Magic_into_the_Eight_Ball