Why does chosing Sugar-desktop alone (no kde or gnome desktops) result in an incompete sugar installation?

Nifty Fedora Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Wed Aug 12 21:16:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 05:24:34AM -0700, Thomas C Gilliard wrote:

> I am tying to do a full install of sugar-desktop as a standalone install
> to HD.
> Used current F11 net install CD for install.
> It is incomplete: I have to add xfce* and sugar-emulator to get it to run.
> Why is it listed as a desktop if it will not do a working install?
> Can the required files dependecies  be changed to allow such an install?
>
> Tom Gilliard

I suspect it could but sugar is key to the OLPC folk
and they to not need an emulator etc.  Thus they would
not quickly add a requirement that conflicts with their needs.

Having said that you might ask for a pseudo package
something like "sugar-on-fedora" or "sugar-without-olpc"
that installs some readme files in /usr/share/doc/sugar

I believe that the OLPC sugar desktop and its activity oriented
interface is "a good thing" and it would be valuable
as a school or home user interface for the non wizzard user
(children, gramps...).

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?