Fedora 12 Alpha RC1 - live iso would not boot properly as liveusb

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 06:57:45 UTC 2009

Mike Cloaked wrote:

> I downloaded the latest staged iso file for Fedora 12 Alpha RC1 livecd -
> and used the method
> dd if=path-to-iso of=/dev/sdb bs=8M to create a bootable usbkey for the
> livecd.
> the boot began and the kms worked fine but at the end of the period when
> the Fedora icon filled with white instead of giving a live desktop it
> failed to load X at all and gave a bash prompt saying that the root
> filesystem could not be found. I am not sure how to get any usable log
> info from the system.
>
> This is a Dell Dimension 2400 with an Nvidia graphics card and for which
> F10 has been running just fine.
>
> I did not see any place on the test matrix for F12 alpha for reporting
> this situation - has anyone else seen symptoms like this?

By the way I was following the procedure detailed in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_Alpha_release_notes
as a test to see if the new method for creating a liveusb worked or not -
and it did not for me.

The the alpha release notes it says:

"The following sections document major new features and changes in the
Fedora 12 Alpha release.
Hybrid ISO images - Simple and Easy Live USB's

In this release, the Fedora Live CD/DVD images can be converted into a Live
USB even simpler than before using just the dd command. Please note, that
unlike using the livecd-iso-to-disk script, this will overwrite the data on
the USB device.

dd if=foo.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=8M

Where foo.iso is the name of the Live CD or DVD image and sdX is the name of
the USB device. Windows users can use the utility available from here

Fedora continues to offer a more comprehensive Live USB creator that
supports additional features including persistent storage and non
destructive writing. "

Is this not yet implemented - or should it now work? Has anyone else got
this to work?