hplip and HPC4725 Photosmart

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Aug 21 23:40:52 UTC 2009

I just purchased an HP All in one.

I'm not sure  how much of this might be do to my custom installs--I
basically uncheck everything, then install base-x after installation.

The hplip rpm would see the (networked) printer, but it wouldn't print.
Running scanimage wouldn't even find the printer.

Now, I was able to get it to work by downloading hplip from their site.

Troubleshooting this will be a bit difficult, since, because of my
minimal installations, setting up a new test machine will be a real
nuisance.  So, I'm just wondering if anyone else has that printer and
has tried hplip 3.9.8-6 and had it work with that printer and scanner.
If so, I'd just assume it's my custom configurations causing the problem.

If not, then there is some sort of bug, and I'd try to troubleshoot it a
bit.

And, if no one else has the printer, then, for the moment, I'll just put
it down to one of those things.  :)  FWIW, it works with Ubuntu Karmic,
but with Ubuntu, I don't really use it, just have it because a few of my
users do, and I go with all defaults.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6