Installation and issues with conflicts

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Aug 22 02:30:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 19:02:11 -0400,
  Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> I just did an install--I had a DVD of Fedora alpha, copied its files
> over to another partition, and set another distribution's grub to boot
> to it.  I did a minimal install, unchecking everything.
>
> Then, I ran into an issue with updates, that nss-devel is replaced by
> nss-util-devel but lib/nssuti13 from nss-util conflicts with file from
> package nss.
>
> One can't simply remove the libraries as they seem to be required by yum
> and rpm among others.  :)
>
> Is there a workaround for this one?  Should I just download it and do a
> force?

In the old days I used to remove the problem package and note what else
got dragged along (and checked that enough was left to still have
a functioning system) and put it back later.

But now you can handle some of these cases using yum-shell. You can do
additions and removals in the same transaction. This comes in handy when
someone forgets to add an obsoletes so that new packages don't trigger
the removal of conflicting packages that aren't needed any more. I can't
promise it will handle all cases, but it might work here.