F11 install - can I change nic mac address DURING install?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 19:26:24 UTC 2009

Allen Kistler wrote:

> Mike Cloaked wrote:
>> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>>> You should be able to once X starts. I have done this recently in order
>>> to do other things. Initially there is a graphic looking screen, but I
>>> don't believe it is X based. You enter locale information and then the
>>> look of the screen should change significantly. At that point you should
>>> be able to get to a shell prompt.
>>
>> Ahh - that may be the case but I seem to remember that you have to define
>> the source for the install at an early stage and before the screen
>> changes?
>> I think that to define the network install is about the 3rd selection
>> after
>> Language and Keyboard selection. So changing to X probably happens when
>> the
>> map comes up to select the time zone?  I may tinker with this on another
>> machine when I move from f11 to F12 - but it would be nice if the option
>> tinker a little more deeply with network settings was available at an
>> early
>> stage in the anaconda set of steps - I know it is an unusual need during
>> install though. Mostly I don't have a need to switch MAC address from
>> that
>> on the NIC but in this case I did need to.
>
> The initial graphical screen is the one that just says "Fedora" and has
> a "Next" button.  You can get to a shell prompt from there.
>
> The only other thing before that is the text-based screen that asks if
> you want to do a media check.  You can switch away during language and
> keyboard ("locale") selection, too.
>
> Anyway, I've never tried to configure the network from the command line
> in the installer, so I can't say you'll actually be able to do that
> (without getting overridden later).  But the shell is on tty2.  The GUI
> is on tty6 to get back.

Thanks for that - I may have a go at that when I transition the same machine
from F11 to F12 - in the meantime I tried Bruno's suggested technique after
the install was complete - by going to a shell and as root typing the three
commands - it worked but I also had to change the MAC address in the
NetworkManager connections editor before it would connect - so I am not sure
if this same technique would work during install even if I can get to a
shell at an early stage -

However it is worth a test at some point.