Install 12 Alpha Using USB Stick

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Mon Aug 31 00:37:20 UTC 2009

Well, to answer my own question: you cannot use the version of
install.img which is on the Fedora 12 x86_64 DVD. You can certainly dd
the image to the USB stick, but after that the stick can't be
automagically mounted (it generates SELinux errors in enforcing mode and
one gets false error messages that the device is write-protected.) Nor
can you boot to it.

Just to make sure of this, I used dd to put an archlinux netinstall
image on the same USB stick, and it booted just fine.

So I reluctantly burned the DVD and used that to install the Alpha.
Obviously, the installer isn't working right: X failed to start, and it
booted into a text-mode installation. I had no opportunity to do hard
drive partitioning and there was likewise no chance to select packages
or package groups, either. The text mode installer is blindingly fast:
it installed 184 packages (count 'em, 184!) which is almost nothing, and
left me with a glorious non-X, non-graphical, runlevel 3 installation
that doesn't even do firstboot.

I ran `yum update` and updated most of these packages -- all except
dhclient and one of it's dependencies.

Then I tried to `yum groupinstall` X but many of the packages needed
couldn't be found by yum. I even installed yum-presto to see if the
needed packages were available as drpm's.

At that point, I gave up on the Alpha. I know it will improve in time so
I'm not at all whining.

Seeing the opportunity, I had a ball installing Arch Linux on that hard
drive. I don't know why others might think Arch is ahead of Fedora...I
only got a 2.6.30 kernel from their 2009.08 release, and the Xorg
graphics seem rather unsophisticated compared to Fedora. And I miss yum.
Archlinux's `pacman` is okay, but the ability to use delta packages
(downloading only the differences between the old and new packages) is a
desirable feature, and I'm not sure if pacman checks for signed packages.

Bob