Signs of Life in Rawhide Install

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Sat Aug 1 22:11:47 UTC 2009

Finally was able to install Rawhide on one of my machines,
the ECS motherboard with AMD 6000 and ATI video card.

The X cursor did not appear for the first few screens after the X server
started.  So I had to use the tab key.  Then the cursor started working
sort of. By the end of installation the X cursor was working normally.

Anaconda could not do an automatic install on a drive that was all FreeBSD.
Using custom disk layout to do the partitioning got around that issue.
Booting to an EXT4 partition worked.

The booted Linux did not run the onceonly script.  I had to use the
console tty login to add a user.  Haven't had a chance to thrash the
system but at least I get a Gnome screen.

My main office machine still goes dark when the install gets to the point
of asking for language (I presume).  The machine with Intel GPU switches
to a mode that its monitor complains about.  What I need is a pxeboot
vga cheat code that tells the install process to leave the VGA in default
80x25 mode until the X server is started.  Does such a code exist?

--
Chuck Forsberg    caf at omen.com   www.omen.com   503-614-0430
10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231   FAX 629-0665