updates repo admission checklist hole

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Aug 3 16:49:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 08:14 -0700, Maria Magdalena wrote:
> In my opinion you are wrong because:
>
> Fact: update repo has broken packages.
> Fact: broken packages keeps sleeping into update repo.
> Fact: QA must consider everything broken until proven contrary.
> Fact: You failed to lead situation toward an improvement in Fedora (as
> mission statement says), because
>          you failed to professionally analyze user comment and make
> required adjustment.
>
> Someone more open will spot the workaround in a second:
> "Change the system to give negative karma from start ( or consider
> zero karma as not acceptable for updates-repo) when a package arrives
> into updates-testing, thus we will ensure that some human at least
> tried to install and test the package before it gets with positive
> karma in updates-repo this will not annoy users" .

Ahem.  Maria, Michael has not tried to argue whether the current
situation is good or not, he has just tried to explain what the current
situation /is/.  There is no current policy that would cover what you
point out as a hole.  That's all he's doing.

The fact that there is a hole is very well known, and multiple attempts
have been made at passing policy that would shore up that hole somewhat.
However any policy that tries to dictate what and when maintainers can
push things fails to pass, seemingly because maintainers feel that they
must remain in control of when their updates go out, regardless of what
they break.

So I would encourage you to try and draft and pass the policy you
mentioned, as well as come up with the man power to enforce it and to
provide the karma necessary to move packages along.  If you succeed,
great, if not, you'll have more of an idea why this issue is as of yet
unfixed.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!