hard disk

François Cami fcami at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 3 17:28:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 01:14:42 +0800 (CST)
钟威 <zhongw_1984 at yahoo.com.cn> wrote:

> hi,    when I after installed the Fedora 11,then always tell me “a hard disk is failing” .I want to know what happen with my hard disk?
> Regards,Williams

Hi Williams,

fedora-test-list is for users of development releases, not of stable
releases. Please ask on fedora-list instead. See:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate#User_Mailing_Lists

With that said, you can read your hard drive's SMART status with :
# smartctl -a /dev/sda
(replace sda with sdb, or sdc, etc, if you have multiple hard drives).

You should especially look for non-zero results in the last field of
the Reallocated_Sector_Ct line.
On a healthy drive, the last entry of that line is 0 :

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 100 100 036 Pre-fail Always - 0

The detection for failing hard drives is fairly correct, however,
so you probably should plan on doing a last backup and migrating
your operating system and data to a new drive.

Best wishes,

François