Dim Screen

Over the last week or more my rawhide AMD x86_64 system w/nvidia GeForce 8600 card has not been working correctly. If I use nv driver, X will not start and just hangs showing the last startup text. CTL-ALT-F2 will get a login screen. If I use vesa driver, it also hangs, but shows weird lines on top and old startup text on bottom of screen. CTL-ALT-F2 gives a black screen with no login prompt. I must do reset to restart machine. If I use the nouveau driver, X will start, but the screen is very dark. I am able to login to kde or gnome. I am at the 118 kernel. I think the last one that worked was in the 60's. Anybody have something to try? Any idea what is broke?

Jim