Dim Screen

Jim Bevier jim at jbsys.com
Mon Aug 3 21:16:19 UTC 2009

Over the last week or more my rawhide AMD x86_64 system w/nvidia GeForce
8600 card has not been working correctly.  If I use nv driver, X will not
start and just hangs showing the last startup text.  CTL-ALT-F2 will get a
login screen.  If I use vesa driver, it also hangs, but shows weird lines on
top and old startup text on bottom of screen.  CTL-ALT-F2 gives a black
screen with no login prompt.  I must do reset to restart machine.  If I use
the nouveau driver, X will start, but the screen is very dark.  I am able to
login to kde or gnome.  I am at the 118 kernel.  I think the last one that
worked was in the 60's.  Anybody have something to try?  Any idea what is
broke?

Jim