The new Sound applet

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Tue Aug 4 01:29:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 11:44 -0400, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 22:27:36 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >At first impression, I like the new preferences>sound
> >control.  Unfortunately it still can't select the CD audio
> >input on an ALC889A codec.   This is on a Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p
> >motherboard and Core Duo 8500.
>
> See the "New Mixer Handling in PA 0.9.16/F12" thread on fedora-devel
> list for why the CD audio input is deliberately not available.

Someone could confirm this, but I think that logic is that since CD
audio is now handled digitally and because you can set volumes on a case
by case basis, you shouldn't need to change the 'direct' volume from the
CD player.

So for example, you can play CD's from a number of applications in
Fedora and theoretically you should be able to set individual volumes
for each application that can play the CD.  Having a 'master' volume for
the CD (that would affect all these application volume levels) would
just be confusing (much like this email).

Rodd