The new Sound applet

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Aug 4 07:20:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 11:29 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 11:44 -0400, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> > On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 22:27:36 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> > >At first impression, I like the new preferences>sound
> > >control.  Unfortunately it still can't select the CD audio
> > >input on an ALC889A codec.   This is on a Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p
> > >motherboard and Core Duo 8500.
> >
> > See the "New Mixer Handling in PA 0.9.16/F12" thread on fedora-devel
> > list for why the CD audio input is deliberately not available.
>
> Someone could confirm this, but I think that logic is that since CD
> audio is now handled digitally and because you can set volumes on a case
> by case basis, you shouldn't need to change the 'direct' volume from the
> CD player.

It's not about the volume, but about selecting the active input for
recording purposes.

Actually, I missed a twist here in my earlier email on the subject.
g-v-c in Rawhide will not expose the CD input. This is because PA is
working under the assumption that anything labelled 'CD input' will just
be the internal connector on a sound card which is/was specifically
intended for analog hookup to a CD drive, and really can't be connected
to anything else. Chuck, if your system includes an input labelled 'CD
input' which is actually associated with a standard 3.5mm input jack on
the exterior of the system, that's the kind of corner case that may need
to be special-cased for PA, so you should file a bug on it, with very
specific information as to the circumstances. Really, this is bad
practice on the part of the hardware designer: an input like this should
be called Aux, not CD; if it can have any generic component attached to
it, it's not a CD input.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey