updates repo admission checklist hole

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Aug 4 21:02:30 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 08:54 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> Back to the swig update. There is no QA process, at least not for the
> majority of packages. Here's the update ticket for swig:
>
>   https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F10/FEDORA-2009-8145
>
> As you can see, it got pushed directly to "stable", which didn't give
> anybody a chance to test it before it landed in the repos. Only if it had
> been pushed to testing, there would have been a window during which the
> community could have tested it and could have used the "karma points"
> voting system in bodhi, the Fedora Updates System.
>
> And even if it didn't have broken deps, it could still suffer from further
> breakage, which could only be found out with actual testing (done by
> humans as well as automated tests).

We are working on the critical path packages proposal (which will
prevent critical packages from being sent straight to updates in this
manner, though I don't think swig is on that list), and autoqa checks
which will prevent packages which break dependencies like this being
pushed as updates.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey