Fedora 12 Alpha installation test invitation --Jul 29, 2009

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 15:54:40 UTC 2009

Thanks for raising these concerns Kamil!  Comments below...

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 11:01 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:
> ----- "Liam" <lili at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > please select and execute test cases which best match your
> > environment
> > from our wiki page at:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_12_Alpha_Install_Test_Results
> >

> I'm not sure how to test undocumented test cases. For example in
> "Image Sanity" section all 4 test cases are not documented and I don't
> know exactly what some of them mean. Can I find an explanation
> somewhere?

The idea of these tests surfaced as release engineering exit criteria
checkpoints during the F-11 campaign.  I've added Jesse Keating to the
cc list for some guidance here.

= QA:Testcase_Mediakit_ISO_Size =

This seems a worthwhile test that we should include.  I suspect this
test is intended to ensure the ISO media is:
      * <= 700Mib for CD iso's
      * <= 4.7Gib for DVD iso's?  <!-- needs clarification -->

= QA:Testcase_Mediakit_ISO_Checksums =

Unclear what the value of this test is.  It's straightfoward to confirm
that the ISO images posted match the provided checksums.  But it's not
clear

= QA:Testcase_Mediakit_Repoclosure =

I believe replaces the need for an @everything package install test.
The intent is to use repoclosure to identify dependency conflicts
without having to go through the hastle of booting a CD/DVD and manually
selecting every package for install (even still the UI doesn't expose
all packages on the media kit iirc).

I suspect this test would be easier and better to run while the compose
is being created.  I don't know if that's possible, but if so ...
perhaps we just need a place to add compose-time unit test scripts?

= QA:Testcase_Mediakit_FileConflicts =

Same as above.

Thanks,
James