Fedora 12 Alpha installation test invitation --Jul 29, 2009

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 17:07:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 11:54 -0400, James Laska wrote:

> The idea of these tests surfaced as release engineering exit criteria
> checkpoints during the F-11 campaign.  I've added Jesse Keating to the
> cc list for some guidance here.
>
> = QA:Testcase_Mediakit_ISO_Size =
>
> This seems a worthwhile test that we should include.  I suspect this
> test is intended to ensure the ISO media is:
>       * <= 700Mib for CD iso's
>       * <= 4.7Gib for DVD iso's?  <!-- needs clarification -->

I'm still somewhat fuzzy on the DVD iso sizes myself, and it depends on
how you measure the size (du, vs ls -al, vs ls -alh, vs....)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-R#Recordable_DVD_capacity_comparison
seems to indicate that 4.38 gigabyte (or 4.71 in manufacturer sizes
divided by 1K rather than 1024) is the upper limit.  So however we want
to measure/reflect those sizes, that's what we need to come in under.

> = QA:Testcase_Mediakit_ISO_Checksums =
>
> Unclear what the value of this test is.  It's straightfoward to confirm
> that the ISO images posted match the provided checksums.  But it's not
> clear

This is really for when we gpg sign CHECKSUM files, since that involves
manual shuffling around of files and potential for things to go wrong.
Basically test that the isos posted match the CHECKSUM posted.

> = QA:Testcase_Mediakit_Repoclosure =
>
> I believe replaces the need for an @everything package install test.
> The intent is to use repoclosure to identify dependency conflicts
> without having to go through the hastle of booting a CD/DVD and manually
> selecting every package for install (even still the UI doesn't expose
> all packages on the media kit iirc).
>
> I suspect this test would be easier and better to run while the compose
> is being created.  I don't know if that's possible, but if so ...
> perhaps we just need a place to add compose-time unit test scripts?

It is somewhat possible to do this during compose, but the failure case
is hard to define, and there is no facility to do this currently in the
compose code.  It is more easier to do when there is an exploded repo of
the media set available to run repoclosure on, so we can likely skip
this test for now, or I can do it where the compose happened and post
results.

> = QA:Testcase_Mediakit_FileConflicts =

Ditto.

--