rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1 is needed by ?????

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Tue Aug 11 13:24:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 04:47:17 -0700 (PDT), Antonio wrote:

> I am/was getting desperate here.  None of the strategies worked, the above commands still return back
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>  liblzma.so.0 is needed by
>  rpm-4.7.1-1.fc11.i586
>
> can't do much  :(

Antonio, with all due respect, why did you update "rpm" with --nodeps?
It's a great way to shoot yourself into the feet.

Does your /bin/rpm still work? (The executable depends on liblzma.so.0
which you choose to ignore with your --nodeps command)

Can you use your rpm to install the missing rpm-libs and xz-libs packages
from f11 updates-testing? Or does the command fail?
If it fails, "yum localinstall ..." of the missing fc11 packages might
be the last way out (under the assumption that your older rpm-libs
and rpm-python packages still work independently of the --nodeps rpm
thing). Otherwise you've lost, as you would need to be familiar with
a rescue disk to fix your RPM.

Further, you're the undisputed master of quoting too much. :-/
Way too much irrelevant stuff. That's not helpful.

> [root at localhost packages]# yum update rpm

What are you trying to do there? Have you finished installing the needed
rpm-libs and xz-libs packages? Nothing in your quotes shows that you
completed that step.

> [root at localhost packages]# yum remove rpm

Oh, come on! You're a subscriber of this list and a user of Fedora and
Rawhide for a long time. What results do you expect from "yum remove rpm"?
If you really think it would let you erase your RPM tools and libraries,
you would need to be prepared to recover with a rescue disc. Because
"no RPM" => no way to install any packages.

All you needed to do is to update a few packages manually.