Rawhide breaks Nvidia again

François Cami fcami at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 12 00:42:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:07:14 -0700
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R <caf at omen.com> wrote:

> On 08/11/2009 04:47 AM, fedora-test-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> > Message: 9 Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 01:05:06 -0700 From: Adam Williamson
> > <awilliam at redhat.com> Subject: Re: Rawhide breaks Nvidia again To: For
> > testers of Fedora Core development releases
> > <fedora-test-list at redhat.com> Message-ID:
> > <1249977906.3961.0.camel at adam.local.net> Content-Type: text/plain On

> > Could you_please_  stop asking about this? We've explained, multiple
> > times, that we are not particularly interested in the proprietary driver
> > and it's not on-topic for this list. Why do you keep asking about it?
>
> Has the  "see Figure.1" ethos jumped from VMS to Linux?

With a gentle touch of "see Figure.1" ethos, please take the time to read:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundations
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems

To put it bluntly: the fact that third-party proprietary drivers do not
work in *any* branch of Fedora is not a Fedora bug.

You can complain to your hardware vendor instead.

> Why maintain Flightgear and other 3d programs if there
> is no way to run them properly?

As amazing as this sounds, FlightGear and other 3D programs do run
properly with free software drivers on a lot of video cards.
Just not on *any* video card though.

You can have a look at the freedesktop website to see which hardware
works and which does not:
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Intel

Some models are even available fanless.