installing rawhide from boot.iso (SOLVED)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Aug 18 04:22:40 UTC 2009

On 08/14/2009 02:12 PM, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> dd it to my USB stick (my BIOS does CD emulation)

I think this step was the problem - the boot happens OK because of the
BIOS but anaconda says:

  ERROR: got to setupCdrom without a CD device

and it gets worse from there.  I suppose anaconda/kernel isn't listening
to the BIOS at that point.

So, to achieve the goal of an installer (not LiveCD, I wanted to do
'minimal') install from USB I used this patch:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-livecd-list@redhat.com/msg03046.html

from Warren Togami with this command line:

  sudo ./livecd-iso-to-disk Download/Fedora-12-Alpha-i386-disc1.iso
/dev/sdf1

and set the BIOS to force HDD (vs. FDD) mode on the USB sticks.  Net
result: one installed rawhide (after switching hd0 for hd1 in grub), one
fewer coaster in the landfill.

Turned out I needed disk3 as well for a sub-base install
(perl[mumble]POD package) so copying that extra iso to the vfat
partition takes care of it (even mounting another stick over the mounted
one from a vt worked - slick).

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle