Fedora 12 Alpha RC1 - live iso would not boot properly as liveusb

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 08:51:02 UTC 2009

Mike Cloaked wrote:

> By the way I was following the procedure detailed in
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_Alpha_release_notes
> as a test to see if the new method for creating a liveusb worked or not -
> and it did not for me.
>
> The the alpha release notes it says:
>
> "The following sections document major new features and changes in the
> Fedora 12 Alpha release.
> Hybrid ISO images - Simple and Easy Live USB's
>
> In this release, the Fedora Live CD/DVD images can be converted into a
> Live USB even simpler than before using just the dd command. Please note,
> that unlike using the livecd-iso-to-disk script, this will overwrite the
> data on the USB device.
>
> dd if=foo.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=8M
>
> Where foo.iso is the name of the Live CD or DVD image and sdX is the name
> of the USB device. Windows users can use the utility available from here
>
> Fedora continues to offer a more comprehensive Live USB creator that
> supports additional features including persistent storage and non
> destructive writing. "
>
> Is this not yet implemented - or should it now work? Has anyone else got
> this to work?

I have now got the liveusb working just fine - I abandoned the technique
suggested in the Alpha release notes (using dd) and instead reformatted the
usbkey, installed unetbootin in the F10 system and used it to prepare a
bootable usbkey from the F12 alpha rc1 iso - it boots just fine with the
usbkey, KMS works fine and the desktop works well.

So the method for creating the bootable usbkey needs to be right!

The iso file is too large to write to a CD but could be burnt to a DVD - but
this way leaves one optical disk less to go onto the tip after it is
finished with...

So now I can test F12 alpha.