Fedora 12 Alpha RC1 - live iso would not boot properly as liveusb

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 14:26:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 11:57:45PM -0700, Mike Cloaked wrote:

>By the way I was following the procedure detailed in
>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_Alpha_release_notes
>as a test to see if the new method for creating a liveusb worked or not -
>and it did not for me.
>
>The the alpha release notes it says:
>
>"The following sections document major new features and changes in the
>Fedora 12 Alpha release.
>Hybrid ISO images - Simple and Easy Live USB's
>
>In this release, the Fedora Live CD/DVD images can be converted into a Live
>USB even simpler than before using just the dd command. Please note, that
>unlike using the livecd-iso-to-disk script, this will overwrite the data on
>the USB device.
>
>dd if=foo.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=8M
>
>Where foo.iso is the name of the Live CD or DVD image and sdX is the name of
>the USB device. Windows users can use the utility available from here
>
>Fedora continues to offer a more comprehensive Live USB creator that
>supports additional features including persistent storage and non
>destructive writing. "
>
>Is this not yet implemented - or should it now work? Has anyone else got
>this to work?

I ran into this.  There is a bug currently where it won't fine the rootfs.
The way to work around this is to edit the kernel command line to have
'root=/dev/sdX' where X is the number of the USB key.

Alternatively, you can use livecd-iso-to-disk on a FAT formatted USB key.
There is a known bug using an ext2/3 formatted key, but FAT works fine.

josh