Fedora 12 Alpha on VirtualBox 3.0.4 won't boot 'Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)'

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Aug 26 10:11:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 11:50:35AM +0200, Niels Haase wrote:
> Hello,
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "mapper/vg_fedora12vb-lv_root" or
> unknown-block(0,0)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
> 0800 62914560 sda driver: sd
> 0801 204800 sda1
> 0802 62705708 sda2
> 0b00 1048575 sr0 driver: sr
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
>
> I have no idea was is going on here, since this is a install on a
> fresh disk (use entire disk). The only notable thing maybe that I have
> enabled both repos, Install and Rawhide during the install. I filled a
> bug [1]. Did anyone else see this? Or did something may know which
> additional information should be add to the bug report? Thanks for
> your help!

I ran into this as well--not sure of the cause, but you can get a bit
further than that by being very quick, and hitting escape as soon as you
get past the BIOS screen--this should cause grub to hesitate enough so
that you can edit it.  Changing the root=UUID=whatever to
root=/dev/whatever will get you past that.  In my case though, it then
dies on unable to open initial console.

Maybe the kernel, like many individuals, thinks the whole UUID thing is
just too much of a nuisance and wants to go back to more human usable
/dev/sdX.  :)

If you look at my posts from the weekend, Sunday, I think, you'll note
my mention of the problem.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Whistler: Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not
ready for the big moments. No one asks for their life to change,
not really. But it does. So, what are we, helpless? Puppets? Nah.
The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what
you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you
are.