Announcing Fedora 12 Alpha

stan gryt2 at q.com
Wed Aug 26 22:06:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 02:48:04 +0530
Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> If mails from cron are the reason why we are installing a mta, that
> is a very weak one considering that a typical desktop user isn't
> seeing them at all.
>
> The mails I care about as a desktop user doesn't require a local mta
> on my system. All other mails that the local mta is queuing up is
> effectively dropped on the floor since it is not exposed at all to me
> from my desktop. Instead of exposing them in one of the many ways
> suggested, we are just pretending that are still somehow useful. If
> the installer asks for my email address and configures my system to
> automatically send me mail to my mail client of choice once I login,
> *then*, it is marginally useful. I am not sure what am I supposed with
> mails from cron in the desktop still.

As a desktop user, I disagree.  The mails go to the root account, and I
read them there.  They don't go anywhere if there is no mail agent.  I
am both a user (most of the time), and the admin.  As a user, I don't
care about those emails.  As the admin, I do.  I would expect most linux
desktop users to have this dual role.  Are you dumbing down Fedora to be
a thin client, net installed, administered by someone besides the user?
Then why is the user installing it?

Is it possible to ask the question, "Do you want system messages sent to
the root account?".  Yes, set up an mta, No, throw them away.