Announcing Fedora 12 Alpha

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Aug 27 16:51:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 08:45:42AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> As I said, I was literally unable to get sendmail working despite
> spending an entire weekend on it,

It would be really interesting to know what you were attempting to
do and how you "over-thought" that installation.  For years on most
of Fedora installations sendmail requires really _nothing_ in order
to work locally.  If you want to receive mail from an outside world
you need to follow these instructions in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

dnl # The following causes sendmail to only listen on the IPv4 loopback address
dnl # 127.0.0.1 and not on any other network devices. Remove the loopback
dnl # address restriction to accept email from the internet or intranet.
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

So you have to comment out one line and do 'service sendmail restart'.
That rewrites for you /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.  Various other things
are also done easily and quickly by editing /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
and for more popular options you do not even need to read
documentation as comments in that file are often enough.  Usually
takes few short minutes if you do not desire something "exotic".

    Michal