move to openssl-1.0 and skype

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sun Aug 30 18:37:05 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 02:57:41AM -0400, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Michal Jaegermann<michal at harddata.com> wrote:
> > It appears that move to openssl-1.0 means that available skype
> > binaries will break on Fedora 12.
> >
> > $ ldd /usr/bin/skype | grep so.8
> >        libssl.so.8 => /usr/lib/libssl.so.8 (0x00369000)
> >        libcrypto.so.8 => /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.8 (0x001fc000)
> >
> > I know that skype is binary-only and so on but in practical terms
> > that would be a very serious trouble.  Or maybe this is only
> > indirect and openssl-1.0 will work too?  No way to check that really
> > in the current state of rawhide where attempts to update to any
> > packages using openssl-1.0 fail on dependencies.
> >
> Or maybe this will prod the Skype team to actually update their Linux
> client? It's long overdue. They supposedly have a version in closed
> beta that works natively with Pulseaudio.

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/

You can find there, unsigned so far,  skype-2.1.0.47-fc10.i586.rpm
(and another one for f9).  On that web page you will see in
requirements

    * Video card driver with Xv support.

    * Software requirements
    * Qt 4.2.1+
    * D-Bus 1.0.0
    * libasound2 1.0.12
    * PulseAudio 0.9.10+ (optional)
    * PulseAudio 0.9.15+ (optional recommended)

Only ldd on binaries give for ssl the same as above; which is not a
big surprise if you have "fc10" in a package name.  Well, the one
currently released says "fc5", even if "fc5" works with Fedora 11,
so this is quite a progress. :-)

Yes, there is a static version too; but a security update in an
underlying library will blow a big hole in such option.

   Michal