Installing Rawhide

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Dec 1 17:22:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 08:16 -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
> The part about not making install images all the time is listed as a
> "discussion point", part of the official proposal:
> 'Do we always make install images for rawhide, or only make images for
> pending release tree?'

It was a discussion point, and I've discussed it at multiple venues,
FUDCons, IRC, in person with installer team, other meetings, releng
meetings, etc..  We decided to enact that part of no frozen rawhide at
the start of the Fedora 13 cycle.  We also covered this in our recent
Fedora Talk meeting and subsequent summary I sent out.

> Big picture it seems like we've suddenly taken away access to a huge
> amount of potential nightly and periodic installer testing.  Is this
> addressed somewhere in the proposal that I missed?

Yes, the installer team seems to agree that in the early stages of
rawhide, that is before we branch, nightly testing is largely a wash, as
too many things are in flux and bugs found are generally bugs ignored as
development moves on.  We will be working with the install team to
create test day images when they feel that they have code that is worthy
of testing and getting bugs on.  I suspect we'll have a number of these
images created leading up to the feature freeze and subsequent branch.
Once branched, images will be produced nightly as we are in polish mode
and all bugs matter.

> Are there particular reason for not creating the images any more that
> might help everyone understand more why this is a good idea?

The images just aren't ready for use.  There is no point in testing
something that will be ignored, rewritten, obsoleted by further changes,
etc...  We're just not ready at this point in the development cycle to
create install images for nightly consumption.  Rawhide is now and will
carry on being just a repo of packages.

> Can you add something to the proposal explaining when, how often, and
> where install images will be created?

Yes, I still need to work the summary from our fedora talk meeting into
the wiki page (anybody want to help with that?).  I'm still trying to
catch up with everything that got pushed off my plate in order to make
F12 land.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!