Installing Rawhide

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue Dec 1 20:28:14 UTC 2009

> On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 08:16 -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
> > The part about not making install images all the time is listed as a
> > "discussion point", part of the official proposal:
> > 'Do we always make install images for rawhide, or only make images for
> > pending release tree?'
>
> It was a discussion point, and I've discussed it at multiple venues,
> FUDCons, IRC, in person with installer team, other meetings, releng
> meetings, etc..  We decided to enact that part of no frozen rawhide at
> the start of the Fedora 13 cycle.  We also covered this in our recent
> Fedora Talk meeting and subsequent summary I sent out.
>

> > Big picture it seems like we've suddenly taken away access to a huge
> > amount of potential nightly and periodic installer testing.  Is this
> > addressed somewhere in the proposal that I missed?
>
> Yes, the installer team seems to agree that in the early stages of
> rawhide, that is before we branch, nightly testing is largely a wash, as
> too many things are in flux and bugs found are generally bugs ignored as
> development moves on.  We will be working with the install team to
> create test day images when they feel that they have code that is worthy
> of testing and getting bugs on.  I suspect we'll have a number of these
> images created leading up to the feature freeze and subsequent branch.
> Once branched, images will be produced nightly as we are in polish mode
> and all bugs matter.
>

> > Are there particular reason for not creating the images any more that
> > might help everyone understand more why this is a good idea?
>
> The images just aren't ready for use.  There is no point in testing
> something that will be ignored, rewritten, obsoleted by further changes,
> etc...  We're just not ready at this point in the development cycle to
> create install images for nightly consumption.  Rawhide is now and will
> carry on being just a repo of packages.
>
> > Can you add something to the proposal explaining when, how often, and
> > where install images will be created?
>
> Yes, I still need to work the summary from our fedora talk meeting into
> the wiki page (anybody want to help with that?).  I'm still trying to
> catch up with everything that got pushed off my plate in order to make
> F12 land.

I could use some additional clarification on this point.  Daily rawhide
install images might not have been the ideal/best mechanism for testing
the installer during pre-alpha, but it was our only mechanism.  Has
there been any thought as to what mechanism or process will replace the
use of rawhide install images for providing test feedback to the
anaconda-devel team?

How do you envision install images being created in the new world of
NFR?  Who will be handling the image build process, and who decides when
to build them?

Thanks,
James