Installing Rawhide

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Dec 2 19:37:54 UTC 2009

On 12/01/2009 11:16 AM, John Poelstra wrote:
> Jesse Keating said the following on 11/29/2009 10:52 PM Pacific Time:
>> On Sun, 2009-11-29 at 15:30 -0800, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
>>> Is it time for the images directory to reappear?
>>> In the past many problems with updated rawhides
>>> have been solved by doing a fresh install from
>>> boot.iso or pxeboot.
>>>

>> From now on, Rawhide will not have install images.  Rawhide is a never
>> stopping never freezing repository of packages.  To get to rawhide
>> you'll need to start with say F12 and either point to the rawhide repo
>> during install, or yum update to it post install.
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/No_Frozen_Rawhide_Proposal
>>

> The part about not making install images all the time is listed as a
> "discussion point", part of the official proposal:
> 'Do we always make install images for rawhide, or only make images for
> pending release tree?'
>
> Big picture it seems like we've suddenly taken away access to a huge
> amount of potential nightly and periodic installer testing.  Is this
> addressed somewhere in the proposal that I missed?

I'm not sure how you figure we've taken away access - we've made it so
an individual tester, working alone, has to do a compose themself, which
is admittedly a higher barrier to entry. But the side effect is that
people aren't testing trees we don't expect to work, and we've done that
without adding a serious communication overhead ("hey guys, will the
tree work today?")

> Are there particular reason for not creating the images any more that
> might help everyone understand more why this is a good idea?

Usually it's a waste of time and energy, especially early in the rawhide
cycle where we (the the anaconda team) are doing heavy development.

> Can you add something to the proposal explaining when, how often, and
> where install images will be created?

Maybe we ought to have sortof a fire-drill test day sometime soon where
we spin an anaconda we think will work and do some smoke-test composes and
installs, and then do a compose for the test day just to get in the habit
of the new process.

--
        Peter

Old MacDonald had an agricultural real-estate tax abatement.