Installing Rawhide

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Dec 2 20:08:47 UTC 2009

On 12/02/2009 02:20 PM, John Poelstra wrote:
> On 12/02/2009 10:01 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 11:01 -0500, James Laska wrote:
>>> QA requires a bit more clarity on the process by which images will be
>>> requested and built ... and we'll then need to update the schedule to
>>> reflect these changes.  I'm not comfortable hand-waving this process
>>> until later.
>>>

>> Currently the Installer team knows to ask me (email, irc, bat signal) to
>> produce images when they are ready for test.  Many of that team know how
>> to produce images on their own for local testing, and thus far I have
>> only been contacted once, and that was for semi-private testing, not
>> wide scale testing.
>>

> I think James' point was missed. He didn't say anything about the
> Installer team.  He was speaking for what the *QA Team* needed.

I think Jesse spoke to that need, really. He's saying that the current
plan is for us (the anaconda team) to proactively ask for a compose
and set up a test day when we think testing from non-developers is
worthwhile, and that we (the anaconda team) are versed in building our
own test images, or one-offs for to hand off to specific testers, for
when we think we need them.

We're also perfectly happy to coordinate with QA to create images for
a) milestones, or b) if they feel we haven't had a test day recently
enough, or c) we haven't spun a test tree for automated test systems
recently enough, or even all of these.

> This seems like the introduction of a new testing model in Fedora
> whereby no testing happens until the maintainer requests that it
> happen. It would be great to hear directly from the Installer team
> directly how this changes their testing needs and how we can all best
> help them.

This is exactly what we discussed on #f-m.  You were there.

--
        Peter

Old MacDonald had an agricultural real-estate tax abatement.