Reply to removing /boot in fedora-test-list Digest, Vol 70, Issue 15 Message 5

Robert C. Lightfoot boblfoot at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 17:53:31 UTC 2009

fedora-test-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> Message: 5 Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 20:36:31 -0500 From: Bill Davidsen
> <davidsen at tmr.com> Subject: Re: Getting rid of /boot To: Fedora Test
> <fedora-test-list at redhat.com> Message-ID: <4B1B0A9F.6050606 at tmr.com>
> Vojinovic wrote:

>> > Multiboot with various Windows, Ubuntu's, other Fedora's? Each should have its
>> > own /, at least.
>> >

> That's what VMs are for, no?
>

>> > That said, if one does not work in multi-platform software development, I
>> > totally agree that cluttering the disk with all that stuff is very ugly, at
>> > the very least. These days virtual machines are much cleaner and easier to
>> > maintain than multiboot setups.
>> >
>> > Best,  :-)
>> > Marko
>> >

> -- Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> "We have more to fear from the
> bungling of the incompetent than from the machinations of the wicked."
> - from Slashdot
While I am sure VMs and virtualization are the the way of the future
many of us still for economic reasons work on systems which cannot or
will not support Virtualization efficiently.  This makes multi-boot and
the associated headaches a necessity rather than a preference.  While I
applaud the steps Fedora has taken in Virtualization and LVM
development, maintaining legacy hardware compatability should also
receive attention as it provides us a competetive edge over the Redmond
OSes.

Bob Lightfoot