Ralink wireless interface

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Dec 9 01:22:15 UTC 2009

On 12/08/2009 04:24 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 2:27 AM, Rick Stevens<ricks at nerd.com>  wrote:
>> On 12/07/2009 04:51 PM, James W. Bennett wrote:
>>>
>>> I am trying to use my Ralink 2561 chip set on Fedora 12. I have tried
>>> using dhcp and the address I get is 10.43.42.0 which is good address
>>
>> No it's not...it's a network address (e.g. broadcast), not a host
>> address.
>
> Actually that's not entirely true in 10.x.y.x a .0 address is a
> perfectly valid IP address depending on the netmask. If it was a /24
> netmask it would be invalid but it would be a network address, not a
> braodcast address. The broadcast address for /24 is .255 , which is is
> also a valid IP address if the netmask is less than 24.

Well, yeah, I mistyped.  It's not a broadcast address, but it is the
root network address for anything smaller than a /22 (e.g. /23, /24, /25
and so on).  It would be a valid host address only on /22s and larger.
- "People tell me I look at the dark side.  That's not true.  I have -
-   the heart of a small boy......in a jar right here on my desk."   -
-                                                    -- Stephen King -