Installing Rawhide

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Dec 2 18:40:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 18:28 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Cant we use a "known to work" anaconda version to distribute with the
> nightly-created live images or are we going to have to schedule test
> day's around anaconda working that day or not?

When using live images to test parts of the OS, it doesn't matter if the
installer is functional or not, as you aren't installing.  You're
booting the live image and running the application(s) in question.

> > Going forward, I would propose that we use the existing Test Day
> > framework to schedule and deliver images.  Of course, test day is mostly
> > geared around live images, but our deliverable would be even smaller,
> > boot.iso.  Hypothetically we can store this test day image in a path
> > that can remain live for a period of time, and be a reference for the
> > latest install images produced.
> >

> I propose we keep producing nightly-composes live iso and just use a
> working anaconda installer or remove the option to install out of those
> images then just install or the switch out that installer if the
> anaconda team wants some install testing done...

When the anaconda team wants install testing done, they're going to be
more interested in the non-live case (or at least equally interested).
We'll need to produce boot.iso.

> Reducing the number of test days or having the ability for each SIG
> pointing to a live iso to conduct some testing on their own is not the
> way to go and certainly not making test days depended on the "installer"
> working or not.

Who's proposing we reduce the number of test days?  I'm certainly not.
Each SIG can point to whatever test day image they want, provided the
image contains the software they wish to test, or the ability to install
said software in the live environment.  Installation of said live
environment to the local machine is not really critical to the test day
(unless of course the test day is to cover said installation)

> These images serve more purpose then just to check or test the
> installer....

I think you're confused.  Nobody that I can see is suggesting we stop
producing or produce less test day live images.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!