Installing Rawhide

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Dec 2 20:18:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 15:16 -0500, James Laska wrote:
> Using the current schedule [1], we have the following milestones where
> QA will need install images for testing.
>
>         = Alpha =
>         2010-02-04 - Pre-compose install testing [2]
>         2010-02-11 - Test Alpha 'Test Compose' (boot media testing)
>         2010-02-18 - Test Alpha Candidate
>
>         = Beta =
>         2010-03-11 - Pre-compose install testing [2]
>         2010-03-18 - Test Beta 'Test Compose' (boot media testing)
>         2010-03-25 - Test Beta Candidate
>
>         = Final =
>         2010-04-15 - Pre-compose install testing [2]
>         2010-04-22 - Test RC 'Test Compose' (boot media testing)
>         2010-04-29 - Test RC Candidate
>
> This model assumes that rawhide install images were available for anyone
> to test at anytime.  As Adam points out elsewhere in the thread, where
> this helps us is so people can verify bug fixes.  We also benefit from
> community testing against rawhide leading up to these milestones.
>
> If I'm summarizing the pain correctly ... the push back seems to come
> from providing testing before development is ready to accept bug
> reports?
>
> Does this only happen during early development?  Meaning, after
> Alpha/Beta is having nightly built rawhide install images still a
> problem?  When in the schedule [1] would be an acceptable time to start
> providing test feedback?

Nightly install images will be created once we branch rawhide.  The
branch event is scheduled for the Feature Freeze, which is a week before
the Alpha freeze.  So you'll have images for all the above listed
milestones automatically, and leading up to those milestones you'll have
images when the installer team requests them, and when we hit certain
dates like test composes.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!