Installing Rawhide

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 20:27:50 UTC 2009

On 12/03/2009 03:03 PM, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>> On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 11:45 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>>
>>> Reading the anaconda list, I see a very large number of changes coming
>>> down the road, all significant and probably as complex as the storage
>>> rewrite.  I bet the anaconda developers would appreciate the widest
>>> possible testing as soon as changes hit rawhide.
>>>
>>> If rawhide is to be frozen, can a mechanism to test anaconda, at a
>>> minimum, be provided?  Testing the rest of rawhide is easy and has been
>>> well documented.
>>>
>>> Thanks, from a cheerful anaconda tester who may now be tearful.
>>
>> Well, if you read the posts from Peter Jones, that's actually *not* what
>> they want. They say they want to move to model where they provide images
>> for testing anaconda when they're ready to.
>>

> Then why put updates in rawhide?  For the live isos? I know there is a
> way with updages.img files to test, but creating them is beyond me.
> Also, I guess we could use Mr. Keating's pungi method.
>
> It is too bad that the good old days of easily testing the cool changes
> being made in anaconda are over.

I think this is a severe mischaracterization.  I really think that this
change should actually make testing /less/ difficult - in that the thing
you're testing will be something we at least think /should/ work.

Think of this as a plan to make testable images flow pretty often, but to
limit /untestable/ images.

--
        Peter

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
		-- Einstein