Any hints on how to write services for new upstart?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 14 06:57:11 UTC 2009

On 12/14/2009 08:39 AM, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> OK, so before the recent upstart upgrade, I had two services in
> /etc/event.d.
>
> Apparently, /etc/event.d is now obsolete.  Any hints on what it has been
> replaced with and/or pointers to documentation on how to define services
> for the new and (presumably) improved upstart?

The new location is /etc/init. The format has also changed. If you want
to convert, refer to

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2009-December/msg00184.html

The few existing packages should should serve as examples. The current
recommendation is start you continue to rely on sysv compatibility in
upstart rather than use upstart jobs since it is possible, the job
definitions might change again before we get to 1.0.

Rahul