Any hints on how to write services for new upstart?

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Dec 14 16:24:00 UTC 2009

Jonathan Kamens (jik at kamens.brookline.ma.us) said:
> OK, so before the recent upstart upgrade, I had two services in
> /etc/event.d.
>
> Apparently, /etc/event.d is now obsolete.  Any hints on what it has
> been replaced with and/or pointers to documentation on how to define
> services for the new and (presumably) improved upstart?

Basic notes:

- Services go in /etc/init, and must end in .conf
- You can no longer have multiple 'start on' or 'stop on' stanzas; combine
  them with 'and' or 'or'
- The default is for services to respawn. If you don't want that, mark
  it as 'task'

More info is in init(5) in the new upstart package.

Bill