Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Feb 6 11:50:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 05:12:00PM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
>

>> Believe me, there's enough outcry among sysadmins about the gradual move
>> of Fedora towards it being more Windows like all the time.
>>

>> I base that not only on what I see on Fedora forums but various other
>> technical lists and private correspondence with friends in the field.
>>

> Maybe we should contemplate switching to FreeBSD - that was pretty
> unfriendly last I looked:-)
>
> Seriously, friendly is fine, but stupid is not.

Yes, as one fellow said on Fedora forums (about the removal of root
login in GDM) "Do I hear the sound of training wheels being welded into
place?

FreeBSD is great, though a recent upgrade broke X for most people.
The BSDs and few remaining Linux distributions, give a bit more credit
to the users.  Not that it's perfect, and the fact that binary upgrades
are still problematic can cause server problems, but it is decisions
like this that cause the (usually young and self-proclaimed elite) BSD
folks to say things like, "Linux is for people who hate Windows.  BSD is
for those who love Unix."

Even the BSDs are getting more interested in dealing with newcomers
(save of course, for Theo).  However, the community is still small
enough so that changes like this would probably have more input from the
user community than in a large Fedora/Ubuntu like project.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Do we really need weapons for this?
Spike: I just like them. They make me feel all manly.